Spec of PC for cracking

seedys50

Question

I have been running a PC for a couple of years for general cracking and it has been fine - its a pretty old machine - AMD A6-3500 with 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD for operating system and a 1TB drive for my downloads. I dont play games on PC. I found i could download through jdownloader and run vertex/sentry/storm in the background without any issue.

This last month the PC has been playing up and the CPU is running nearly 100% after some time - checked the highest usage and it was ESET antivirus. I removed this and replaced it with Avast and this is the same.

I have ran malwarebytes and the virus checker and its coming up clean.

My only option seems to be buy something new.

Can anyone suggest any good setups or a good processor/MB/RAM combo for a decent specced machine. I am on a budget so please dont go top of the range. I though about 300-350 should get me something decent. The graphics card can be built onto the motherboard as I dont play games.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Which Windows version are you running? Windows requires a lot of resources. Eset after a full system scan regulary calm down like most security software. Eset is good like Kaspersky. I have myself been using and running most security software out there you can think of. 

I do not run traditionally antivirus software anymore. Only ondemand like EEK or something like that when I need. I disable Windows bullshit Defender (tweak). Running Comodo Firewall with tweaked setting, it is strong protection and free. I am using the Sandboxing aspect the HIPS is disabled. It is better then all payed ones out there. But it needs knownledge in start for it to work good. 

You can run default-deny apps that give restriction instead of antivirus software. It will be a lot more CPU friendly. But if you wanted to use and run CPU friendly Antivirus software you can try out Webroot. 

I am doing my cracking in Virtualbox. Only Sentry (clean one) running on host rest in Virtualbox. My system is clean. Maybe yours are infected? Also CPU normally gets high after Windows system update but it calms down after a time. You can tweak Eset to make it more CPU. You do not need everything enabled. Eset is a really strong HIPS based protection. One of the best ones. 

Edited by GoranGusto
  • Upvote 1

Bro, i personnaly have this pc. "HP Pavilion - 17-f140nf (Energy Star)" 

Its not a good pc for gaming but for low price it runs sentry mba etc. smooths without problems ! i will soon buy a new pc ofc. 

Cracking tools are usually not resource intensive. So you don't need a high spec PC for the purpose of cracking. But if you intend to use it for other cpu/gpu heavy workloads then avoid buying the cheapest one.

In a tight budget you can look for a ryzen 2400g/3400g with a cheap a320/b450 mobo with 2x4/2x8 gigs of ram. See which fits your budget.

Also it's worth checking if you can get a good deal on used older gen high spec hardware.

I know this is a very old post, and you probably already bought something...but

Not sure anything you described means, OK trash it, lets buy new.  Why not just try to backup the stuff you need and reformat?

Won't get into a tech essay about if it's infected and other ways to see what's going on (or just corrupt driver issues or windows causing shit).  But make sure whatever you buy or end up using, that if it is virus related you don't simply just install/open another infected cracking tool.  Check those files on VirusTotal etc..

Thanks for the info guys - yes your correct this is an old thread and I have moved on.

It looks like it was some minerware that infected the PC and hogging the resources. A quick update and some minerblock app got it back to where it should be.